Saturday, December 18, 2010

Easy Elegance: New England Clam Chowder

My mom grew up in the heart of New England, on the border between New Hampshire and Maine. She left when she was just 17, but deep down she was always a northerner. This is one of her recipes, and every time I make it I can't help but smile at warm memories of my mom in the kitchen.

Most people I know stay away from homemade chowder because they think it must be difficult, time consuming, and use expensive and hard to find ingredients. I promise none of that is true. In fact, it uses easy to find, simple ingredients and cooks up PDQ.

New England Clam Chowder

1 medium onion, diced
6 slices bacon, diced (I use turkey bacon)
4 tbs margarine
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp dried dillweed
1/8 tsp black pepper
4 cups potatoes, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
8 oz clam juice
4 6.5-oz cans chopped clams
4 tbs cornstarch
1 quart fat-free half and half

1. Drain clams, reserving juice. In a 4 quart heavy saucepan, melt margarine over medium high heat. Add onions, bacon, garlic, dill, and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, 6-8 minutes, until onions are clear and bacon is starting to crisp.

2. Add potatoes. Stir. Pour in clam juice and reserved juice from canned clams.

3. Bring potoates to boiling over high heat. Cover and reduce to medium high. Simmer 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are fork-tender.

4. Meanwhile, place cornstarch in tall glass. Add 3/4 cup of half and half. Stir until smooth. Set aside.

5. When potatoes are done, uncover and add remaining half and half to pot. Stir to comine. Add cornstarch-half and half mixture. Stir in clams.

6. Stirring constantly, bring chowder to boiling over medium high heat. Cook and stir 2 minutes more.

7. Remove from heat and let stand 10 minutes before serving.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting the recipe...go Patriots!
    http://www.vitatnder.com

    ReplyDelete