This is an absolute family favorite. I started this recipe as a way to use up all the candy canes my kiddos insist on hanging from the tree, and now it's just plain tradition.
Yes, I know that you could easily throw a peppermint in pre-made cocoa mix, but I promise that the prep is WORTH it in this cocoa. I CHRISTMAS promise...
Candy Cane Cocoa
1 1/2 candy canes
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/3 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
Dash salt
4 cups milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1. Crush candy cane (I put mine into a ziploc sandwich bag and use a coffee cup to smash it -- works out pent up aggression). Add to medium sauce pan. Add water, sugar, salt, and cocoa powder.
2. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixtures comes to a boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes.
3. Add milk. Stir and cook just until steam starts to rise. Do NOT boil.
4. Remove from heat and add vanilla.
5. Divide into 4 mugs. Garnish with mini candy cane as "stirring stick" if desired.
Saturday, December 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment