Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Hot Milk Sponge Cake with Peach Cobbler Topping

Nothing says "summer" like peaches, and since today is my first offical day of summer vacation, I decided to use some. I waffled over just how (since thanks to the kiddos I only had 5 peaches left from the 12 I bought two days ago). I'm out of brown sugar, too...so that really limited my culinary creativity for the night. I also didn't want to choose something that would overpower the absolutely out of this world taste of fresh peaches. So after thinking, I decided to go old fashioned and make a Hot Milk Sponge Cake and top it with peach cobbler filling.

Hot Milk Sponge Cake with Peach Cobbler Topping

For the cake:

1/2 c milk
3 tbs margarine
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder

For the Peach Cobbler Topper

4 medium peaches, peeled and sliced thinly
3/4 c sugar
2 tbs flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tbs margarine, cut into small cubes

OVEN: 350

1. In a small sauce pan, combine milk and margarine over medium low heat. Allow to heat, stirring occasionally, until steam rises.

2. Meanwhile, in a medium mixing bowl beat eggs with an electric mixer 3-5 minutes, until frothy and lighter in color. Add sugar and vanilla and beat another 1-2 minutes.

3. Remove hot milk mixture from stove. In a small bowl mix flour, salt, and baking powder.

4. Add flour and hot milk alternately to egg and sugar mixture. Make sure to add the milk in a thin stream. Beat well after each addition. You should end with flour (usually I do 1/4 c of the flour, 1/3 of the milk and of course end with the last 1/4 c of flour)

5. Pour into 9X9 inch baking dish OR 9 inch round cake pan which has been greased with margarine OR sprayed with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes, until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Allow to cool 15 minutes before removing from pan.

6. While cake is baking, mix flour, cinnamon, and sugar in cooking-sprayed covered 2 qt casserole dish. Add peach slices and stir to coat. Drop small margarine cubes randomly into peach mixture.

7. Bake peaches, covered, for 20-30 minutes at 350 degrees, until peaches are tender and juices have thickened. IF peaches become too thick, add a small amount of apple juice OR water to thin them back out again.

8. Pour peach cobbler filling over cake. Sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired. Can be served warm or cooled.

No comments:

Post a Comment