Yesterday Darling Boyfriend got the best idea ever: run to WallyWorld for a tent and have a a Big Backyard Jamboree with the kids as part of their Best Spring Break Ever Extravaganza. He got the tent, I took care of the food (naturally).
When he got home with his splendiforous purchase, we all oooohed and aaaaahed...and then scratched our heads as we tried to figure out how in the heck the thing was supposed to go together. One hour, six squabbles, and 2 butterknives turned into tent stakes later: and VOILA! A tent fit for...ummm...well...us.
Fast forward to 10 PM: s'mores eaten and movie over (I decided that Moulin Rouge was perfect camping faire). Tent time!!!
We snuggled in with about 8 billion blankets and assorted animals. Dancing Queen and Little Buddy insisted they couldn't sleep without at least 20 of their fuzzy animal friends. We spent the entire day coaxing Gamer Boy out of his hidey-hole and into the tent, and were immediately sorry we had when he decided it was prime time to scare the crap out of his sisters. Every 30 seconds.
After an hour of the girls screaming and Gamer Boy laughing hysterically, everyone finally nodded off to beddy bye. Things were going swimmingly (albeit uncomfortably so...ground = hard ladies and gents).
A scratching noise outside the tent woke up me up. I figured it had to be some wild outdoors-induced dream and closed my eyes. Heard it again. Hmmm...nodded back off and then the entire tent shook. My eyes shot open, I screamed, and jumped back onto Darling Boyfriend. Something had landed on top of the tent and slid off.
Whatever it was started walking around the outside of the tent. It was stalking us. By this time all three kids were awake. Little Buddy was crying, Dancing Queen was clutching my leg like it was her stronghold on life, and Gamer Boy was trying to poke at the shadow of The Thing Outside the Tent. Being the amazingly brave one of the family, I peeked out the front door.
It was a cat. A cat I didn't recognize. Immediately Darling Boyfriend said, "It's probably trying to get in here and eat us." The girls screamed and cried louder. Thanks...I said it couldn't be OUR cat because I had left him in the house. It wouldn't budge. Dang thing just sat outside the tent, staring at us.
Of course at this point, Dancing Queen piped up, "I have to peeeeeeee." Little Buddy seconded this motion. Gamer Boy announced he wanted to go inside, too. Darling Boyfriend jokes, "Yeah, go outside and let the rabid cat bite you." I handed him a pillow and elected him our official Rabid Cat Liason.
He unzipped the tent and the cat ran to the center of the yard and stared at us. By this time, I'm sure it really does want to eat us. Darling Boyfriend stepped out of the tent and tiptoed toward the pint sized predator while the girls clutched me and whined, "Mommmmmyyyyyyy."
"It's Playful!" Dang. It was our cat after all. We all took a field trip to the bathroom. I tossed the cat back into the house lest he should try to join our Jamboree again. We woke up this morning with the joy that only sleeping on the ground and breathing in pollen can give a person.
I decided that after all that, we deserved pancakes. Not just any pancakes would do -- nope: needed my Good Morning Sunshine Pancakes slathered in butter and drenched in syrup. Comfort on a plate, lemme tell ya.
Good Morning Sunshine Pancakes
1 1/2 c flour
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tbs sugar
2 egg white or 1 egg
1 1/4 c skim milk
3 tbs canola oil
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Cooking spray
1. Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Turn oven to "warm" and place oven-proof plate on center rack.
2. In a medium mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and sugar.
3. Add egg, milk, oil, and vanilla extract. Beat with wire whisk until all ingredients are combined and no dry remains. Batter will be slightly lumpy. Don't over-mix!
4. For each pancake spray skillet with cooking spray. Use a 1/4 c measuring cup to scoop out batter and drop into pan. Turn with spatula when bubbles appear, about 2 minutes. Allow to cook an additional 1-2 minutes, until cooked through and bottom is lightly browned.
5. Transfer to warm plate in oven. Repeat with remaining batter.
6. Yields approximately 12 pancakes. Serve with butter, syrup, fruit, whipped cream, or any other favorite pancake topping.
Thursday, April 8, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment