Saturday, November 6, 2010

Chili Cornbread Squares

It's late, it's freezing cold outside, I had absolutely no desire to hike it out to the local Food Lion, and the only defrosted thing of value in my fridge was a bazillion quarts of chili leftover from Thursday night's dinner. However, if I dared to serve chili in bowls like normal folks eat, I was in danger of a full blown housewise mutiny. What do do, what to do? Why, encase the chili in cornbread of course!

Only...I was out of cornmeal. Ooopsie. I decided to see what would happen if I used hush puppy mix and the end result is genuis, I tell you -- pure, unadulterated genius.

Chili Cornbread Squares

2 cups House Autry hush puppy mix with onion
2 eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
1 tsp baking powder
2 cups of prepared chili
2 cups shredded colby jack (or whatever cheese you like)

1. Spray 13 X 9 X 2 inch baking dish with cooking spray and preheat oven to 400.

2. In large mixing bowl combine hush puppy mix, milk, eggs, oil, and baking powder.

3. Spread half of batter into pan. Top with chili, then cheese. Spread remaining batter evenly over top of mixture (I used a metal spoon). If some of the chili swirls into the top layer, so be it! It's all going in the same place...

4. Bake at 400 for 35-40 minutes, until cornbread starts to pull from sides of pan. Allow to cool 5 minutes before cutting into 12 squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment